If you love Sloppy Joe sandwiches, you’re going to love these... in the vegan version! I found the recipe on "Peas and Thank You". They’re really easy to make.
Makes filling for at least 4 sandwiches
· 1 c. dried lentils, rinsed and drained
· 4 c. vegetable broth or water
· 1/2 c. chopped onion
· 2 cloves minced garlic – I found really cool garlic (Dorot) at Trader Joe’s. It’s already minced & cubed!
· 1 T. chili powder
· 2 t. oregano
· 1 14 oz. can tomato sauce
· 1/4 c. (approximately half a can) tomato paste
· 1 T. red wine vinegar
· 1 T. vegan Worcestershire sauce (I found it at Whole Foods)
· 1/4 c. all-natural barbecue sauce (I used Trader Joe’s)
· salt and pepper to taste
· pickle slices
· whole wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
· · Bring broth or water to boil in a medium pot. Add lentils & cook until tender, approximately 30 min.
· Drain & set aside.
· Meanwhile, in a skillet that has been spritzed with oil or cooking spray, add onion & sauté lightly over medium heat until start to soften & brown.
· Add garlic, chili powder & oregano and sauté for an additional minute or two.
· Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce & barbecue sauce.
· Stir to combine and then add lentils.
· Mix thoroughly & season to taste.
· Scoop mixture onto toasted buns & garnish with pickles.
“Choosing leaf or flesh, factory farm or family farm, does not in itself change the world, but teaching ourselves, our children, our local communities, and our nation to choose conscience over ease can.”
~Eating Animals, Jonathan Safran Foer